NC STATE (PPAF)
8 – 5
- Highbush type cultivar. The variety is a pentaploid, and will require pollination with any rabbiteye or highbush variety. Chilling requirement is a minimum of 800 hours, 32 to 45 F (0-7C)
- The mature height of the plants is 5 feet, similar to northern highbush cultivars. The plants are moderately vigorous with a semi-upright in habit.
- The fruits ripe late mid-season and extending into the late with other highbush cultivars.
- Yields are comparable to highbush varieties, 8 to 12 pounds per plant.
- Fruit size is medium to large, approximately 70 berries per cup. The flavor of the fruits are very pleasantly perfumed with sweetness.
- The fruits are firm with a small dry picking scar suitable for hand harvest. The berries have a long shelf life, similar to Legacy. The berries average slightly less than one developed seeds, which is an advantage for customers who do not like seeds in fruits.
- Hand harvest is recommended to obtain the best quality. Mechanical harvesting has not been tested although firmness of the berries and loose cluster could indicate the plants are adaptable.
- Marketing should be for local or long distant marketing.
- Plants prefer well drained soils and will adapt to dry soils. Blueberry stem canker and blueberry stem blight have not been observed since 1978 in North Carolina.
- Plants are available only in 72 cell plugs for spring of 2022, and larger plants in fall 2022.